30 min Viola or Violin Lesson with Kimberly Hankins
I strongly believe that everyone has the ability to play a string instrument, and I teach all ages and ability levels.
My personal teaching style is very technique and scale based. This is to help prevent injury and allow you to enjoy playing as much as possible. Part of this is finding the right setup (chin rest and shoulder rest combination) for your body. Over the course of a month, I can help you find this perfect setup and show you exercises to strengthen muscles in order to eliminate pain from your practicing.
Outside of music, I have a solid background in dance, yoga, and kyudo. I use my knowledge of anatomy and musculature in order to create a pain-free approach to learning the violin or viola.
Private Studio Information
- 10+ years teaching experience
- Graduate of Indiana University and The University of Arizona
- Current Doctoral Student at Arizona State University
- Current Active Member of the International Viola Society and American String Teachers Association
- Adjunct Faculty Member, teaching Violin and Viola at the Landon School and Holton-Arms School in Bethesda, Maryland
- Resident Artist and Teacher at Olympia High School in Orlando, Florida
- Viola Coach for Indiana University's All Campus Orchestra
- Sectional Assistant for Tucson Junior Strings in Tucson, Arizona
- Viola Coach for MAYO in Bloomington, Indiana
- Violin, Viola and Piano Teacher for Mike's Music in Bethesda, Maryland
- Former Students: Anna Garcia, Graduate of the University of Florida and String Teacher at Teach for America. Jose Romero, Graduate of Rollins College.
The rates for a lesson with me are:
$40/half-hour - Tempe, AZ
$30/half-hour - Online (Skype)
All payments are non-refundable